TYT MD-UV380/390 ad...

TYT MD-UV380/390 advanced hotspot codeplug  

RSS

AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Trusted Member Member
March 15, 2019 2:46 pm  

This is a monster codeplug I've been using the past year or so. It's built for dual-band TYT radios and pi-star hotspots. Don't know if the MD380 CPS can read it or not, but G6AMU's awesome DMR Codeplug Editor can. Cathy's editor is a must-have for TYT owners as it allows reordering and insertion of contacts, channels, etc.

So what makes this CP a monster? For starters, the contact list includes every Brandmeister Talk Group, every DMR+ reflector, every XLX reflector, every YSF room, as well as all the RMHam DMR talk groups.

But wait, there's more. Well over 2,000 channels are pre-built, including all front-range analog repeaters, all 2m and 70cm simplex frequencies (per CO band plan) plus FRS and GMRS frequencies, as well as full pi-star implementations of Brandmeister DMR, DMR+, XLX, and DMR2YSF, which was recently added to pi-star. Local DMR zones are also pre-built for the K0PRA, W0TX, and RMHam's DMR repeaters for when you're on the road.

I'm not a big fan of RX Groups, but stubs are pre-built for each of the local repeaters as well as a special one for the pi-star so you can hear its status and link messages. Scan Lists also pre-built for the analog repeaters.

For all this to work properly, your pi-star must be running 3.4.14 or later and be configured to use DMRGateway. All that's left to do is update your call and radio ID, build zone(s) to preference (use my "Personal" zone as an example), set your hotspot frequency to 434.950, and load the whole mess into your UV380/390. (If you take advantage of dynamic talk group linking on K0PRA or W0TX via TS1, you'll need to set up channels for those too as the permutations are infinite.)

Note this was all done with TYT CPS 1.07 and 17.005 Firmware. 

• To use Brandmeister: Simply key up on the "HB" prefixed talk group of your choice. You'll see the connection reflected on the pi-star dashboard. To leave the talk group, key up on "HS TG Unlink".
  • To use DMR+: Key up (private call) on the "H+" prefixed reflector of your choice. You'll see the connection reflected on the pi-star dashboard. Switch to channel "HS DMR+ Talk" to talk. There is no way (yet) to leave a DMR+ reflector, but if you've configured DMRGateway as recommended on the pi-star forums, after 60 minutes of inactivity, the reflector will unlink automatically.
  • To use XLX: Key up (private call) on the "HX" prefixed reflector of your choice. You'll see the connection reflected on the pi-star dashboard, attached to the default module for that reflector. To switch to a different module, key up (private call) on the "HX Mod" prefixed desired module A-Z. Switch to channel "HS XLX Talk" to talk. To leave the XLX reflector, key up on "HS Mod Unlink". Note pi-star will eventually re-attach to whatever default XLX Master you have defined in pi-star.
  • To use Brandmeister reflectors: I wasn't as interested in these but the process is similar; you'll need to set up channels for private contacts matching BM reflectors in the 4001 -> 4999 range. Private call to the reflector of choice, then move to "HS BM Talk" to talk and "HS Refl Unlink" to leave.
  • To use YSF rooms: Make sure the DMR2YSF module is enabled. For now, the room must be selected via the pi-star configuration. Hopefully pi-star will be updated soon so switching rooms via HT is possible, like the other modes. This is why I went ahead and added contacts for all YSF rooms. For now, simply key up on any "HY" prefixed room (it doesn't matter) and switch to "HS YSF Talk" to talk. For now, the room is permanently connected so there is no leaving.

Please note all of this could be completely wrong tomorrow as pi-star is a very actively developed program.  https://forum.pistar.uk/  is the place to be for pi-star knowledge and questions. Lots of good info there.  https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-notes.htm  is another fantastic resource for DMR / pi-star configuration.

Lastly, yes, a couple of the simplex channels have 'funny' names and DCS enabled. I typically use my Kenwood TM-V71A in crossband repeat mode at the home QTH so I can wander about with my TYT and a tiny rubber ducky antenna. Thats what the "XBND" stuff's about. for DMR I normally connect direct to N0KEG's XLX376 reflector - it's far more reliable than Brandmeister these days. Here's the relevant pi-star settings:

Enjoy!

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Motorola XPR4550, TYT MD-UV380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5 QRP

Share: