- The K7RA Solar Update August 12, 2022Solar activity did a rebound this week, back to more active levels.Average daily sunspot number increased from 36.6 to 65.4.Average daily 10.7 cm solar flux rose from 95.7 to 111.9.Solar wind caused geomagnetic numbers to rise, with average planetary A index going from 7.7 to 14.4, and middle latitude numbers from 8.6 to 12.1.An improved […]
- Updates from the 2022 Ham Radio Youth Summer Camp in Croatia August 12, 2022This year's 10th Youngsters on the Air Summer Camp is taking place in Karlovac, Croatia, August 6 - 13, 2022. Attending from the Americas is Mily Erazo, YS1YXI, from El Salvador, along with her father, Juan Erazo, YS1JFE, who is participating as a team leader. Participants are publishing a daily blog from the camp: www.ham-yota.com/yota2022.
- Upcoming Ham Radio Conventions Emphasize Learning and Youth August 12, 2022Two major ham radio events in August will host Division Conventions for ARRL The National Association for Amateur Radio®. On August 20 - 21, the Huntsville Hamfest will be the host of the ARRL Southeastern Division Convention at the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, Alabama. On August 26 - 28, the Northeast HamXposition will host […]
- MFJ to Celebrate 50th Anniversary August 12, 2022MFJ Enterprises, an amateur radio electronics manufacturer and retailer, will celebrate 50 years in business this October. Martin Jue, K5FLU, founded the company in 1972 after building a CW filter kit that sold for less than $10. Since 1990 the company has made five acquisitions, including Hy-Gain and Cushcraft antennas.MFJ Customer Services and Public Relations […]
- Ron Block, NR2B, Wins the July 2022 QST Cover Plaque Award August 11, 2022
- New ARRL Radio Lab Inspires Innovation in the Ham Shack August 9, 2022ARRL has unveiled its new Radio Laboratory, W1HQ. In a new YouTube video, Jherica Goodgame, KI5HTA, a summer intern at ARRL Headquarters, tours viewers through the station."The ARRL Radio Lab is an innovative test space designed to reshape the way we imagine and build a ham radio shack," said Goodgame. The station is intended to […]
- Sangamon Valley Radio Club to Sponsor Radio Orienteering Activities August 8, 2022Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC) has awarded a grant to the Sangamon Valley Radio Club (SVRC) in Springfield, Illinois for a new project to introduce youth, outdoor enthusiasts, and members of the public to amateur radio.The grant is for Radio Orienteering activities, also known as Amateur Radio Direction Finding (ARDF). SVRC will purchase transmitters, controllers, […]
- The K7RA Solar Update August 5, 2022Solar activity continued to decline this week, with average daily sunspot number dropping from 91.1 to 36.6 and average solar flux at 95.7, down from 107.6 the week prior.Thursday's sunspot number was above the average for the previous seven days at 52. Solar flux on Thursday was above the previous seven day average at 108.8. […]
- Hams Radio Operators Support American Red Cross in Kentucky Flood Response August 4, 2022As the flood waters began to recede following devastating rainfall in Kentucky that began on July 26, the American Red Cross reported that over 400 of their disaster workers were on the ground, as well as dozens more in other locations. They provided shelter, meals, and other forms of support. Red Cross teams also worked […]
- The K7RA Solar Update July 29, 2022Although images of the sun this reporting week, July 21 to 27, showed plenty of sunspots, only two new spots emerged, one on July 21, and another on July 25.Another new sunspot appeared on July 28, but the sunspot number declined to 50 from 52 the day before.Average daily sunspot number declined from 137.3 to […]
- ARRL HQ Late Opening On Friday, July 29, 2022 July 29, 2022ARRL Headquarters, including W1AW -- the Maxim Memorial Station, will open at 11 a.m. Eastern time on Friday, July 29, 2022, so our staff can attend an offsite meeting in the morning.For amateur radio news, information about ARRL benefits and services, or to join or renew your membership, visit www.arrl.org.
- The K7RA Solar Update July 22, 2022Solar activity increased over this reporting week, July 14 to 20, with average daily sunspot number rising from 102.1 to 137.3, and average daily solar flux from 147.4 to 157.6. Peak sunspot number was 166 on July 17, and peak solar flux was 171.4 on July 15.Geomagnetic activity peaked on July 19 when planetary A […]
- QST Now Offering a Column for Radio Clubs July 22, 2022ARRL invites you to be part of “Club Station,” the newest column in QST. This column is a space for radio clubs to share the different ways in which they’re successful to help other clubs grow. They do this by offering advice, and practical solutions to common experiences and problems. In each issue, a different […]
- FCC Hiring for High Frequency Direction Finding Center July 19, 2022The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has started accepting applications for a Telecommunications Specialist at its High Frequency Direction Finding Center (HFDFC) in Columbia, Maryland. HFDFC supports the FCC Over-the-Air spectrum observation capabilities, and provides direct support to the public safety community and other federal partners by locating interference sources on HF radio sp...
- The K7RA Solar Update July 15, 2022Rising solar activity over the past reporting week (July 7 to 13) was reflected in increased sunspot numbers and solar flux and rising geomagnetic activity as well. Average daily sunspot numbers increased from 62.6 to 102.1, with the peak value at 134 on Monday, July 11. Average daily solar flux rose from 103.5 to 147.4, […]