Notifications
Clear all

I made a JS8Call Python library

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@n0gq)
Topic starter  

JS8Call has an API, which is a good thing. It means you can automate nearly anything you might want to do with it by writing scripts. The bad news is that the API is horrifically painful to use and almost completely undocumented. This library abstracts the JS8Call API into simple python calls. I use it to do a bunch of neat things, such as alerting me when friends are on the air, as well as in a script that grabs position info from gpsd and periodically sends APRS position updates for HF APRS tracking.

https://github.com/jfrancis42/js8net

Jeff/N0GQ

Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

Jeff, I took a quick look at your link/coding.... impressive it seems that you have quite a grasp on JS8Call.   Would you consider doing a presentation on JS8Call for the members at a meeting?  

Elecraft KX2 KX3 K3, Icom IC-705 Yaesu FTD3, VX8

ReplyQuote
(@n0gq)
Topic starter  

@ak6q I'd be happy to, though didn't Brian, K0FBS do that already?

Jeff/N0GQ

ReplyQuote
Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

I will check with Brain.... thanks.

Elecraft KX2 KX3 K3, Icom IC-705 Yaesu FTD3, VX8

ReplyQuote
(@n0gq)
Topic starter  

Several people are now using this library to provide interesting services on the air (weather, for example). I got bored last weekend, so I used the library as a basis to build a JS8Call monitoring system for the web that will monitor as many radios as you wish at the same time. You can see it here:

http://js8call.n0gq.org

The source code is on github (the link is in the original post) if you want to run it yourself. It should run on most any Mac or Linux box (including a Pi).

Note that you can click on the callsigns in the "From" and "To" columns to link to PSK Reporter. I'll also add clickable links to each ham's QRZ page at some point.

Side note: I learned Javascript to do this project (the server-side core is in python3, the client-side browser stuff is all Javascript). Javascript is a viable contender (along with perl, php, COBOL, PowerShell, and Visual Basic) for the worst programming language ever conceived.

Jeff/N0GQ

ReplyQuote
Share: