Notifications
Clear all

Antenna Analyzer?

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@eladner65)
Topic starter  

I'm looking to borrow an Antenna Analyzer to trim a EFHW slopper that I hope to put up in the next couple of weeks.  I'm targeting 10, 15, 20, and 40m with the ARRL EFHW build kit.

Does anyone have one that I could borrow for a weekend in the next month or so?

Thanks, 73

Ed L, KE0TSD

Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)

I have an MFJ-259C, and a NanoVNA. The MFJ is far easier to use if you just want to trim and look for low SWR at the frequencies of interest. The NanoVNA is cool, but fiddly due to needing to calibrate and mess with adapters. Plus the display is terrible - I use an app on my phone which is so much nicer.

MFJ 259C Manual

I live near Broadway & Littleton Blvd, but just maybe, I might motivate myself to be at the Tuesday meeting.

ReplyQuote
(@eladner65)
Topic starter  

@kd0ymg 

Jed,

Thank you.  I too plan to be at the f2f meeting on Tuesday.  Hopefully see you there.  The MFJ seems to be more in keeping with my capabilities.  I'm not fully confident with 'fiddley' and 'calibration' yet.

With the weather forecast, the antenna isn't going up just yet.  I'd like to see what we could arrange.  I'm in Parker proper so getting to the meeting is much easier for me.

Thanks, 73,

Ed L.

ReplyQuote
Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)

@eladner65 - I'm wimping out on the meeting. Shoot me an e-mail - the address on QRZ is good, or my call at ARRL.

ReplyQuote
(@eladner65)
Topic starter  

@kd0ymg 

Jed,

No worries. I'll reach out tomorrow.

Ed 

ReplyQuote
Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)

@eladner65 - how's it coming with this antenna? Do you still want to borrow my analyzer? At the moment, I'm planning on attending the Show'n'Tell on Saturday.

BTW, if you want to read it, this QRZ thread is quite interesting: The ARRL End Fed Half Wave Antenna Kit and doing it cheaper and better.

ReplyQuote
(@eladner65)
Topic starter  

I'm sorry I missed your reply.  I've got the PRA loaner antenna analyizer booked for loaning later this month, so I'll be raising that EFHW again to check what was happening.

I'll take a closer look at that article, and see if there are changes that I can make to the kit build and maybe address the noise floor I was seeing.

Thank you, 73

Ed L.

ReplyQuote
Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)

No worries. I don't think you'll find anything in that article to help with noise. But there's a lot of interesting stuff.

ReplyQuote
Share: