Notifications
Clear all

My 2022 Field Day Setup

6 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

I wasn’t able to attend Field Day with the club so I wanted to post my setup here since I was running my class as 1E at 5 Watts.

I used my Chameleon MPAS 2 vertical dipole with a CAP Hat in between the sections. I also used my Lab599 TX-500 set at 50% power (5 watts). 

My power source was the Powerwerx Powerbox 15 with a trio of Bioenno batteries (2- 3Ah, 1- 9Ah). I used a Powerwerx 110 Watt Solar Panel to top-off the Bioenno batteries throughout Saturday, but didn’t end up needing them as the 15Ah powerbox was more than sufficient for the entire operation.

I didn’t make many contacts, but I had fun participating in my first field day where I actually operated my own setup. 

The 5 Watts (QRP power) was fun, challenging, frustrating, and required lots of my patience. 

Overall it was a great experience.

K9OAK

Jeff Karpinski
(@webmaster)
Reputable Member Admin

Field Day was frustrating at 100 watts with 40' high dipoles too! That solar storm that rolled through really made a mess of things. Props for doing QRP!

Kurt_R reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

@webmaster Well that makes me feel a bit better knowing there was a solar storm rolling through and EVERYONE was having a rough go of it. After the field day time expired I put up my 73 ft wire on a 34 ft fiberglass mast and switched to 100W and still things were not ideal. I thought it was just some RF interference on my part.

K9OAK

ReplyQuote
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

@webmaster my photos in my post disappeared?

ReplyQuote
Jeff Karpinski
(@webmaster)
Reputable Member Admin

@kurt_r Got post attachments repaired yesterday. Let me know if you still see stuff missing.

ReplyQuote
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

Thanks @webmaster Jeff I appreciate you!

ReplyQuote
Share: