Clear all

Getting in to 3D Printing

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)
Topic starter  

I recently bought an Ender 3 v2 used. Good price from another ham, and I've been learning. Certainly, some glitches to work out, if it's possible. I've watched a lot of videos, and find that while the overall content is good, getting down to specifics is a crapshoot and a timesink.

I'll have some photos, at least, to share, once I get a better setup for taking them, and decide where online to host them. I'll likely create an account on Thingiverse too.

For now, I'm wondering what resources are good for figuring out problems. The guy who sold me the printer recommends Facebook, but I'm not too thrilled with that. 😜 

Here's one thing I designed. I'm going to do a little write-up on usage, again, waiting on doing some proper photography. I'm using TinkerCAD, which is somewhat limited, but hey, it's free. This thing is a wire insulator, intended for portable use. I don't know yet whether it works as I expect it to.

Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)
Topic starter  

This should be available on Thingiverse now: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6335858

ReplyQuote
(@braedonb98)

I am unfamiliar with tinkerCAD communities however, I know there are a lot of online communities through Discord or Facebook groups to help post questions ( I would choose Discord for a more anonymous experience). Additionally, I know for software like Solidworks there are "Solidworks user groups" that get together once a month to every 3 months and bring in industry experts to talk about new or interesting parts of the software, even as a certified professional often the concepts were still complex for me to understand. 

I am always glad to see more hams get into rapid prototyping and manufacturing(always happy to be able to find things on thingiverse instead of needing to spend the time to make them myself 😉 )

ReplyQuote
Jed Baer
(@kd0ymg)
Topic starter  

After watching a lot of videos, it's clear that proper CAD software is quite a different animal from TinkerCAD. Sure, I've seen some very complex designs in TinkerCAD, but the mind boggles at the process that had to be involved.

So far, my experience is that the designs I'm finding already made are almost what I want, but not quite. Part of the fun, for me, is doing the design.

ReplyQuote
Share: