Clear all

Mobile radio.

9 Posts
3 Users
7 Likes
William Hood
(@sparky3865)
Topic starter  

New member here and new to the ham radio hobby. I am looking to purchase a mobile radio to install in my pickup! We travel a fair amount especially in the summer months. (camping and bosting) Was wondering what this group would recommend for a newbie?

Thanks Bill KF0EDF

Bill Hood N0BJH

Brian reacted
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

Welcome Bill!

I'm sure you'll get lots of great recommendations. My vote is the ICOM ID-4100A. I've had a few radios in the truck but I'm currently running a 4100 and am tickled pink with it. UHF/VHF/DSTAR with good audio, but what I really like is it's programmable via SD card. No more un-mounting the radio every time I want to change the config.

True, DSTAR isn't as popular as DMR but the PRA DSTAR repeater is one of the best in the country, and DSTAR is super road-friendly. Roll into a new town, and with a couple button presses, you're talking on the local DSTAR repeater as long as it's in the built-in database. That ain't happening with DMR.

Don't forget about an antenna and don't skimp. Best radio in the world isn't going to do squat without an antenna. The COMET-NCG SBB-5NMO
is a good performer at a decent price.

73, AB0L.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
William Hood
(@sparky3865)
Topic starter  

@3d0g Thank you for the Info. The icon radio is definitely one I have been looking at. I had not even thought about the DSTAR factor. That would definitely be handy in our travels. I also did not realize you could program it with a SD card. 

Bill Hood N0BJH

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
N4SJW
(@n4sjw)

I agree w Jeff the 4100 is a good price vs. performance mobile radio. If you haven't worked with DSTAR yet, let one of us know and we can help you get started. Also, think about what antenna and where on the vehicle you will place it. Breedlove has some excellent antenna mounts for trucks: 

https://breedlovemounts.com/  

My mobile setup is an Icom ID-5100, the big brother/sister to the 4100 and a Comet B10 antenna on a mag mount on the center of the roof in a Honda Pilot SUV. The small antenna does well around the area and I can just barely squeeze the SUV under the garage door. 

Base: Icom IC-7610/IC-9700; Ant OCF inverted V + Hustler 6BTV vertical, 6M OA-50 horizontal ant on 6M, OA-144 double stack on 2M, and OA-432 on UHF horizontal antennas. Mobile: ID-5100; Portables: Icom IC-51A and Motorola XPR-7550 HTs

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
William Hood
(@sparky3865)
Topic starter  

@n4sjw Thanks you for the response. I will definitely need help with the DSTAR. I have read about it but don’t know a whole lot and would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me.

As far as an antenna I already have a magnetic mount and a Diamond NR-770HB. That i connect my handheld to.The Ham radio outlet recommended that antenna to me.

Again I appreciate all the input. And plan on purchasing a radio in the next couple weeks.

Bill.  

Bill Hood N0BJH

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
N4SJW
(@n4sjw)

Bill, first stop I'll recommend is: http://www.dstarinfo.com/ and click on the bottom right link to register your callsign. Lots of really good info on this site so take time to review.

If you're getting the Icom 4100, strongly recommend the respective RTS software from HRO or direct: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015812 this will save you lots of time in the long run.

For the Squaw Mountain DSTAR repeater:

Freq: 446.850  -5Mhz offset to transmit

URCALL: CQCQCQ

MYCALL: your callsign

RPT1: K0PRA  B  (there are 2 spaces between A and B)

RPT2: K0PRA  G (2 spaces as above)

This sets you up for both the repeater and the gateway. To use the gateway, you'll have to be registered as above. There are some additional functions you can use, for example instead of CQCQCQ in URCALL, you can use an I in the 8th digit and it will tell you what reflector the repeater issetup for. use E for Echo and transmit a short voice test and it will parrot you received audio, U for unlink the gateway.

Or you could steer the repeater to another reflector, e.g. in URCALL: REF030CL   this steers to the 030 Charlie reflector if you want to listen to the nets. When you are finished listening put URCALL REF223BL  to put the repeater back to the normal 223 Bravo x reflector with is our CO transcoder.

Lots more info to come, just want to get you started.

John N4SJW

Base: Icom IC-7610/IC-9700; Ant OCF inverted V + Hustler 6BTV vertical, 6M OA-50 horizontal ant on 6M, OA-144 double stack on 2M, and OA-432 on UHF horizontal antennas. Mobile: ID-5100; Portables: Icom IC-51A and Motorola XPR-7550 HTs

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
William Hood
(@sparky3865)
Topic starter  

@n4sjw Thank you for all the info. Have decided that the 4100 is gonna be my choice. Was definitely getting the software and cable package when I order. I may need to meet up with one of you to help me with getting it setup. Or at least talk me through some of the things.

Bill

Bill Hood N0BJH

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
N4SJW
(@n4sjw)

Bill one other thing to consider as you plan out your mobile budget is how to mount the radio/head. I believe the 4100 has a detachable head and the RF deck can be mounted somewhere else. I have that for my 5100 and put the radio in the console and use the DC power plug in the console and then have a Lido wedge mount for the control head https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016697   This slides between the console and the front passenger seat. I really like mine as it puts the control head at a good viewing angle and easy to pop off the head and put in the console if parked somewhere. of course if you don't have a console, just disregard this entire post 🙂

John N4SJW

ReplyQuote
William Hood
(@sparky3865)
Topic starter  

I have a radio box i built that fits between the front seat and the dash on the floor that I mounted the unit to. Looking to so a dash mount for the control head. Thanks for the info the wedge might be a good fit for the 4runner

Bill Hood N0BJH

ReplyQuote
Share: