Clear all

License Question

20 Posts
5 Users
8 Likes
Cameron (AD1CT)
(@cameronm99)
Topic starter  

I've got to young girls (12 and 10) who are both wanting to get their licenses.  However, mom and I are a little concerned.  The FCC wants an address where they can reach us at which I can understand.  However, that address is also available to anyone who might look up their callsign.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there are many predators out there in the ham world, but they're so young that we'd like to put a layer of separation between their callsign and their location.

Other than a getting a PO Box would using a friends address be OK?  Once they're older, they can change the address on their license to whatever they choose, but in the mean time it'll make their mom feel a little better about them getting their license.

73s

Cameron (AD1CT)

Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

Cameron, I understand the concern and echo your ideas... I would use another family members address, preferably one that has the same last name for simplicity sake.   The PO Box is another good choice. 

Elecraft KX2 KX3 K3, Icom IC-705 Yaesu FTD3, VX8

WØSUN reacted
ReplyQuote
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

Yeah, I'd use grandparents address, and when they grow up and move away, switch to yours. Can't be too careful.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

WØSUN reacted
ReplyQuote
 W B
(@kf0eim)

I am in the process of studying for my Technician license and will be taking it within the next 2 weeks. In the meantime I got a Yaesu ft-60 after researching what would be the best starter for me. 

While I am studying and before my actual exam, can you recommend an active frequency that I can listen to? I know I can't communicate until I pass but thought some listening could only help.

Thanks in advance.  

ReplyQuote
Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

I would recomend listening to W0CFI repeater 448.675 FM

W B reacted
ReplyQuote
Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

I would recommend listening to W0CFI repeater 448.675 FM

ReplyQuote
 W B
(@kf0eim)

@ak6q Thanks for the recommendation. Just listened to a QSO for a few minutes. Experience like this really helps. 

ReplyQuote
Cameron (AD1CT)
(@cameronm99)
Topic starter  

@nprgsclsgnAnother good one 145.145.  Almost always has someone on their talking.

W B reacted
ReplyQuote
 W B
(@kf0eim)

@cameronm99had 145.145 on a few times today. Didn't hear anything. Any specific times of the day?

edit: heard some traffic this evening. Hearing a lot of static on the channel during conversations. Is that normal or an issue with my radio? One HAM also mentioned hearing static. 

ReplyQuote
Cameron (AD1CT)
(@cameronm99)
Topic starter  

To answer the 1st question I usually find folks on that repeater during the evening.  Especially during the evening commute.

As to the static, not your radio.  Folks can and  hit the repeater from pretty far north.  They tend to be the ones with a lot of static.  The guys fitting the repeater for the Denver metro area (including Parker and Aurora) are typically sound food with very little to no static.  But that's just my observation with my radios.  YMMV.

Cameron (AD1CT)

ReplyQuote
Randy
(@randy)

Another repeater system to monitor would be the Colorado Connection (www.colcon.org)- their metro area repeater is 145.310

73 Randy  K0TNG

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
Randy
(@randy)

Another repeater system to monitor would be the Colorado Connection (www.colcon.org)- their metro area repeater is 145.310

73 Randy  K0TNG

ReplyQuote
 W B
(@kf0eim)

Going to take my technician license this evening. Other than studying, which I've done, any tips for taking the exam?

ReplyQuote
Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

How did the test go?  Hope you passed!   

ReplyQuote
 W B
(@kf0eim)

@ak6q thanks for checking in. I did pass and am happily participating more and more in the community. Looking forward to joining some in person events. 

W0BDT and Dan Grady reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: