- HamSCI Issues Call for Abstracts for March Virtual Workshop January 18, 2021
- HamCation QSO Party Set January 18, 2021
- ARRL on the Purpose of Amateur Radio January 17, 2021
- FCC Issues Enforcement Advisory: Radio Users Reminded Not to Use Radios in Crimes January 17, 2021The FCC has released an Enforcement Advisory for licensees and operators across radio services. [Complete text of FCC Enforcement Advisory follows.]FCC ENFORCEMENT ADVISORYDA 21-73Released: January 17, 2021WARNING: AMATEUR AND PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES LICENSEES AND OPERATORS MAY NOT USE RADIO EQUIPMENT TO COMMIT OR FACILITATE CRIMINAL ACTSThe Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) of the Federal Communic...
- The K7RA Solar Update January 15, 2021Tad Cook, K7RA, Seattle, reports: What happened? Solar Cycle 25 seemed well under way, but no new sunspots have emerged since December 23. The last time any sunspot was visible was January 2. On January 14, Spaceweather.com posted, “Welcome back, solar minimum.”Average daily solar flux declined from 78.6 to 73.8. Geomagnetic A index remained quiet. […]
- International Amateur Radio Union Preparing for WRC-23 January 12, 2021Preparations continue on the part of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) to represent the interests of the amateur and amateur-satellite services at World Radiocommunication Conference 2023 (WRC-23). The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) sponsors WRCs, typically every 4 years, to consider revisions to the international Radio Regulations that define frequency allocations for v...
- New Amateur VLF Transatlantic Record Set January 11, 2021Very low frequency (VLF) enthusiast Joe Craig, VO1NA, reports that Stefan Schaefer, DK7FC, copied his 50-character message transmitted from Newfoundland on 8.271 kHz, with a radiated power of 10 mW.“This is a new record for amateur transatlantic VLF,” Craig told ARRL. “The mode used was EbNaut by Paul Nicholson. EbNaut is a synchronous coherent BPSK […]
- AMSAT/Vanderbilt RadFXSat-2/Fox 1E Set to Launch January 11, 2021
- Dayton Hamvention Cancels 2021 Show January 11, 2021
- Former RAC President John "Hoppy" Hopwood, VE7RD, SK January 11, 2021Former Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) President John Farrell “Hoppy” Hopwood, VE7RD, of North Vancouver, British Columbia, died on December 8. He was 91. Hopwood was instrumental in the founding of RAC and was inducted in 2015 as a member of the Canadian Amateur Radio Hall of Fame.Hopwood spent his career in telecommunications, once working […]
- ARRL Life Member Neil Rapp, WB9VPG, is 2021 Carole Perry Educator of the Year January 11, 2021Orlando HamCation® has announced that ARRL Life Member Neil Rapp, WB9VPG, of Bloomington, Indiana, is the 2021 recipient of the Carole Perry Educator of the Year Award. The award recognizes an outstanding individual contribution in educating and advancing youth in amateur radio. It was first awarded in 2018 to its namesake, Carole Perry, WB2MGP, in […]
- Seven US Schools Move Forward in ARISS Selection Process January 11, 2021
- FCC Invites Comments on Expanding the Number of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators January 8, 2021In a January 5 Public Notice, the FCC requested comments on whether the current 14 Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (VECs) are sufficient to facilitate the efforts of their accredited Volunteer Examiners (VEs) in administering amateur radio examinations, or whether up to five additional VECs should be authorized. The ARRL VEC is the largest of the 14 VECs in […]
- The K7RA Solar Update January 8, 2021
- 2021 AM Rally Set for First Weekend in February January 7, 2021The 2021 running of the AM Rally will take place from 0000 UTC on Saturday, February 6 to 0700 UTC on Monday, February 8. The annual AM Rally operating event encourages all operators to explore amateur radio’s original voice mode by showcasing the various types of amplitude modulation equipment in use today, ranging from early […]