Notifications
Clear all

D74 Question

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tnorris)
Topic starter  

I'm considering the Kenwood D74A, and though it's come down in price since release, it's now 4 years old.  Does anyone know if a version 2.0 is in the works, or the current version a safe bet?

Thx-K0FTN

AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

I'm in the same boat, wanting to snag a D74 sometime this year. I've seen nothing of a replacement on the horizon and Kenwood released new firmware for the D74 last fall so clearly they still care about it. I personally think we'll see a new HF rig out of them before an HT or mobile.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

ReplyQuote
(@tnorris)
Topic starter  

Thanks Jeff. I guess the product refresh on ham gear it's not as frequent ask PCs or cell phones.  Also considering the Yaesu FT3DR.  Obviously, a different feature set but newer, and less expensive.

ReplyQuote
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

Paul, AC5S would be a good brain to pick on the FT3DR. He owned one for a bit and prefers the older model.

Outside of my TYT DMR HT, I'm completely Kenwood so the D74 makes some sense. OTOH, I'm honestly not a real big fan of digital. I could go for a TH-D72A and then I'd be Sky Command capable across all my gear. Decisions, decisions...

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

ReplyQuote
(@tnorris)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reference with Paul.  I'll reach out.  Decisions/decisions is right!  Luckily, HRO is till doing curbside.

ReplyQuote
Share: