Notifications
Clear all

Shari Allstar node

8 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
(@ab4ba)
Topic starter  

My Shari Allstar VHF node is up and running.  I got the kit at https://hamprojects.info/shari/   for around $73 shipped.  It took about 3-4 weeks to get the kit.  It comes in multiple versions including UHF, VHF and versions for Pi 3 and 4’s.  I got the Pi3VHF version.  The Shari connects directly to a Raspberry Pi (not included) and runs entirely on the 5v Pi power supply.  The node runs the Hamvoip software.

The excellent documentation is available on Groups.io/g/shari in the notes section.  The kit is very easy to build with only 8 pass thru solders and one large castellated surface mount radio unit.  Basic soldering skills are all that’s needed.

The hamvoip setup is well documented.  I was up and running without too much difficulty using the recommended settings.  However, I had poor Tx audio quality and had to adjust several settings in the SA818 software and the Simple USB Tune menu to optimize the audio.  I can give my settings to anyone interested. The optimized settings I used the settings here:   https://groups.io/g/SHARI/message/1311

Overall it was a fun, easy build and seems to be stable and working with excellent audio quality.  It is about 100 milliwatts output and gets slightly warm without fans.  My Motorola 1250 Allstar node has been rock solid but requires significant fan cooling.

I am using the web based Supermon 6.2+ software to manage both nodes and it is highly recommended.

If anyone has questions about setup or settings, let me know. 

Enjoy,

Brad, AB4BA

Dan Grady reacted
(@ab4ba)
Topic starter  

FWIW, my Shari node is 546241, 145.650, tone 103.5.  My Motorola node is now 546240, 145.750, tone 100.0.  I am using the miscellaneous and experimental modes frequencies from CCARC for 2 meters.

I would be interested if anybody has some interesting nodes/nets from Allstar.  A few I have discovered are node 2021, G7RPG HUBnet from the UK that is frequently active.  W6EK, node 51018, has an excellent daily net, The Coffee Break Net from 0830-1100 am Mountain time.  The Alaska Allstar Hub, node 29332, has the Alaska morning net at 11 am M-Sat.

AB4BA

ReplyQuote
(@rdbaber)

Hi Brad,

I received a SHARI node Pi4v and now I have to find a raspberry pi.

do you have suggestions which version and where to get one?

Thanks

Bob

W0PFJ

ReplyQuote
(@ab4ba)
Topic starter  

The Pi4's can be purchased from multiple sites online.  The 4gb version is adequate for the shari node.  Locally Microcenter probably has them.  Sorry I didn't see your post earlier

Brad, AB4BA

ReplyQuote
Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

I was at Microcenter yesterday and they are OUT of all Pi's  they said they only get a couple of them each month.... so call before going there for one.

Elecraft KX2 KX3 K3, Icom IC-705 Yaesu FTD3, VX8

ReplyQuote
(@rdbaber)

Hi Fellas, thanks for the information.

I was lucky, I poked around eBay and found a Piv4 pretty cheap, grabbed it and all worked out.

ReplyQuote
N4SJW
(@n4sjw)

FYI, you can go to the Adafruit page and if they don't have any RPi, you can have them send an email when they get more. 

John

Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

This post was modified 2 years ago by N4SJW

Base: Icom IC-7610/IC-9700; Ant OCF inverted V + Hustler 6BTV vertical, 6M OA-50 horizontal ant on 6M, OA-144 double stack on 2M, and OA-432 on UHF horizontal antennas. Mobile: ID-5100; Portables: Icom IC-51A and Motorola XPR-7550 HTs

ReplyQuote
Jeff Karpinski
(@webmaster)
Reputable Member Admin

Pi Shop, the official US supplier, has a 'notify me' feature too. I get emails from them nearly every week as shipments come in.

https://www.pishop.us/

ReplyQuote
Share: