Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] My Digital CAT Control Journey: FT-840 -> HRD Software

5 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

So I have already spent numerous hours trying to gain CAT Control functionality of my Yaesu FT-840 HF Rig via a RTSystems (USB-61) cable and a SignaLink box, but I might have come to an end.

I have spent the last 40 minutes of remote tech support with HRD troubleshooting a cable/computer connection that they have listed in their documented support as a viable solution for the FT-840. Only to be told to contact Yaesu for other options. Yaesu has suggested their  FIF-232C CAT control box. 

I was really looking for a solution that would move me forward or at least not backward in technology, and potentially something more compatible with other radios -> hence the SignaLink. 

I guess that is not an option. So if anyone has a FIF232C CAT box w/a cable that will work please let me know. Or a bombproof homebrew solution that they have come across/made please let me know. (I am not that proficient yet at homebrewing/electronics but I am technically inclined to learn.

Thanks for any help

Kurt

Brian reacted
(@mark5293outlook-com)

Kurt,

I have been looking for the same thing and I ran across this cable on Amazon. 

MOTOKU USB Cat Interface Cable for Yaesu FT-840 FT-850 FT-900 FT-890 FT-600 FT-757GX 6 Inch

I ordered one and am awaiting it's arrival to try it out on a FT-840.

Mark - W0QL

ReplyQuote
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

@mark5293outlook-com Thanks Mark for the reply,

Sorry, my response is so late I thought I had subscribed to this post so I would receive responses.

I did end up finding a Yaesu FIF-232C CAT Control box for the FT-840 I did however have to make the 6 pin mini DIN to standard 6 pin DIN cable to run from the CAT control on the radio to the 232c. I know that there might be some other homebrew solutions out there but I was lucky enough to find the box.

Kurt

Brian reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mark5293outlook-com)

Kurt,

Did you get the FT-840 to work over CAT?  I'm still struggling.  The MOTOKU didn't work (it had a lead missing maybe).  I got just a regular USB to TTL adapter for Raspberry Pi and it works sorta. The commands are irratic with the RigPi.  The RigPi forum said to try a new image which I will do.   Hope to have an eye-ball with you at the meeting March 22.

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@kurt_r)
Topic starter  

@mark5293outlook-com 

I did get it working, via the Yaesu FIF-232C CAT system. I am using the Ham Radio Deluxe software, but admittedly I am still very much a newbie when it comes to how robust the software is.

I have currently been playing around with POTA Hunting and have had success with that. I hope to do some activations of my own soon as I have been completing my portable setup.

ReplyQuote
Share: