Clear all

Vanity Callsigns

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
 ac0f
(@w0aeb)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, I am probably going to bring this up at the next elmering night, but thought I would try and get some discussion going on this.

I earned my Extra class license back in March, and I am starting to think about getting an Alpha call sign.  I noticed on AE7Q's web site http://www.ae7q.com/query/ that there are quite a few coming up in the next month or so.  One I really like is AB0E, but it isn't available until October.  Does anyone have any tricks for getting the applications turned in, or when?  I am sure I can't even try until the date it is available, but looking for ideas on doing this.

Hopefully this discussion will also help others who have their extra class license and are thinking the same thing.

Thanks

Alan

AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

http://www.ae7q.com/query/list/GenLicAvail.php?REGION=10 is indeed the right place to be.

1x2 and 2x1 calls are extremely popular so expect to try and lose on a bunch. Took me 7 times before I finally got AB0L.

Make sure you've still got your login credentials to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp . On the day AE7Q shows your desired call available, go to the FCC license manager and apply. The actual time doesn't matter. If you apply before the available date, your application will be denied. If you apply after the available date, everyone who applied before you gets 1st dibs. All people who apply correctly on the proper date are entered into a lottery. Then the waiting game begins. Keep applying for other calls that appeal to you as they become available. It's perfectly normal to have 4 or 5 'in the hopper', so to speak. Once you finally win a lottery, all your subsequent applications will be invalidated because they were made under your old call that no longer exists. Same is true for your lottery competitors. Hopefully as the processing date draws near, a few will be invalidated because they scored other calls. If you win, you'll get an email from the FCC a little after midnight Eastern. You won't get an email if you lose but you will be able to see the results online.

Submitted on: Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Receipt date: Mon Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Mon
(wait 17+ days)
Batch date: Thu Thu Fri Mon Mon Mon Thu
Process date: Fri Fri Sat Tue Tue Tue Fri
Days of delay: 19 18 18 20 19 18 20

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

Dan Grady reacted
ReplyQuote
 ac0f
(@w0aeb)
Topic starter  

@3d0g

Thanks for the quick response.  That was what I was thinking, but it is good to get it documented and available for others as well.

Alan

ReplyQuote
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

One last point I forgot - NEVER modify a vanity application. That resets the receipt date. Always start new applications for subsequent calls you wish to try for.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

ReplyQuote
Share: