Hamshack Hotline: T...

Notifications
Clear all

Hamshack Hotline: The “Bat Phone” for Ham Radio Operators!

8 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
KE0DC
(@ke0dc)
Non-member
Topic starter  

73 KE0DC

Randy reacted
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

I'd think AllStar would be vastly more useful. Runs on a PBX, just like this is, and it already has 18K established nodes. Adding a sip phone to your AllStar node is super easy.

I mean, I get people enjoy playing with the Asterisk PBX but it's no more amateur radio than calling your ham buddy on the cell.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

KE0DC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@n2pdq)

I just picked up a lot of 7 SPA942 Phones. Getting one setup to see how it works. I agree with AB0L, but this would be another mode that could be interesting.

Maybe another way of monitoring the Digital system, without a radio.

ReplyQuote
(@ai8c)

@n2pdq

Cool!  I am HH Extension 4079.  I signed up a couple of years ago and my account went dormant, reactivated now, using the GroundWire App on IoS, works pretty well and I can be mobile with it.  🙂

Patrick

ReplyQuote
(@n2pdq)

@ai8c

I thought they stopped supporting the mobile sip app. Did they re enable it?

ReplyQuote
(@ai8c)

@n2pdq

Yes, the've gotten a little less touchy about things it seems.  They used to frag your extension if you didn't use it for thirty days, so I thought mine was long gone.  I signed back up and someone mentioned seeing my old extension, I was the 82nd person to get an account back in 2018.  I opened a support ticket and they were like, it's still available to you, here is your login information.  If you request a line, and you can have more than one, on the experimental server, HHX, you can get an extension for app use, once you have it you can put it onto anything you want to, phone app, non-supported phone, etc.  It's just the server, extension, and password, no mac ids to worry about.

GroundWire is $9.99, but I am sure it would work with any SIP app.  I used GW so that if I had issues they would be able to provide support for it, but it was very easy to setup.  I like that when a call comes in it presents it just like a real phone call, like if you are in an app it does the bar at the top in the newer IOS, and it also shows your calls in call history with all of your cell calls.  The audio quality is great, and I've had a few long calls on it.  Just another tool to use for playing radio.  🙂

It's fun to see so much activity and interest for it now, when I was first on it, there were not a lot of people to talk to, and not so many group extensions with nets, etc. on them.

Patrick

ReplyQuote
(@n2pdq)

@ai8c

Thats really good to know. I may have to try that. 

My next test, is to setup an RF link. I putting together an allstar node, that I may setup with it. 

Maybe we can get an extension for the PRA node, to dial into.

ReplyQuote
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

Keep in mind AllStar is nothing more than a "Hamshack Hotline" with the app_rpt module to also interface radio equipment.

There's nothing stopping us from defining sip extensions on our AllStar hub 410460 currently running in AWS.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

ReplyQuote
Share: