Notifications
Clear all

Colorado Amateur Call License Plates

20 Posts
12 Users
9 Likes
KØWAV
(@k0wav-73)

Looks like Jeff maybe on to the right track.

CO Staute 42-3-201 reads:

(1) A person who is the holder of a valid renewable amateur radio, standard radio, FM, or television license issued by the federal communications commission shall, upon application and payment of the additional registration fee prescribed in subsection (4) of this section, be entitled to have passenger cars or trucks that do not exceed sixteen thousand pounds empty weight registered under the call sign letters assigned to such station by said commission and shall be furnished license plates bearing such call sign letters in lieu of the distinct registration number.

... call sign letters assigned to such station... Translated to English =  Call sign, Letter, assigned to such Station . Call sign Letter of Station or in the adjective form... Station Call sign  Letter  [SCL].

Lightning Strikes! Turning RF signals into smoke signals for over 100 years!

ReplyQuote
Scott AK6Q
(@ak6q)

I was successful in getting my SCL plates... they came in the mail today!   

Elecraft KX2 KX3 K3, Icom IC-705 Yaesu FTD3, VX8

ReplyQuote
ECStein
(@ecstein)

Thought I would share my recent experience here concerning my amateur call sign plates with Douglas County.  I had not renewed my amateur call sign plates (acquired under the old mailed in form method) as we got rid of the vehicle I had them on.  But....I kept the plates.

When renewal came up for another vehicle I owned I asked if I could use my old call sign plates and they responded sure but I would have to bring in the plates.  The local office new exactly what they had to do and the only additional fee was the $2.00 SCL fee. I brought in a copy of my FCC license but they said I did not need that.  My license period was apparently already in the DMV system.

The only thing they did not tell me was that I could have created an appointment rather than accomplish as a walk-in. That would have saved me some time.

Ed Steinman

ReplyQuote
 ac0f
(@w0aeb)

Hello everyone, I just thought I would share my experience today with the Elbert County DMV.  I was the only one there, so I had the attention of several wonderful ladies who helped (always like that...LOL).  The one place they were looking for the Amateur License was under the Personalization section, which it took them a few minutes to find, but when they did, they were able to enter my call sign and get me all set up.  I verified it was just the $2, and not the normal vanity plate costs and I was in and out in about 20 minutes.  Not bad in my book.  As stated earlier, do not send the form into the DMV.  I filled it out and took it with me, just to have all the information..  They still needed me to sign and date it so they could scan it in, so it is good I did that.

They also gave me a temp plate, so I am good until the new plate arrives.  Good luck everyone.

73, AC0F

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@ke0png)

@k0wav-73 

Thank you for your post on the SCL application. I printed your thread and the DR2810 form, went into the Arapahoe DMV and about a month later I had my tags.

I would recommend printing your thread and having the DR2810 form filled out prior to going in. The lady at the DMV had never seen a SCL application before, so your instructions were helpful.     

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: