Clear all

$60 Windows 10 Laptop from MicroCenter

4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
W0BDT
(@w0bdt)
Topic starter  

If you follow Ham Radio Crash Course, you’ve seen Josh with a small 11" Windows 10 PC laptop that Microcenter has on sale for $60… It’s only a 1.1GHz Celeron, 4Gb RAM, 64Gb storage, but it’s only $60! What makes it ideal for portable ops is that it charges from 12v, so should be easy to make a cable with PowerPoles… MicroCenter had at least 25 of them when I picked one up tonight. Should also work well for those that primarily run on a Mac or Linux who could use it just to program and update radios that require Windows…  https://www.microcenter.com/product/649971/evolve-iii-maestro-e-book-116-laptop-computer-dark-grey

Brad Tombaugh (W0BDT)
Yaesu FT-60R - AnyTone AT-D878UV Plus - AnyTone AT-D578UVIII Pro - Yaesu FT-991A - Diamond X50A - MFJ-2299 - PreciseRF HG-1 "WR" Magnetic Loop Antenna

(@kx3dx)

I picked up an Evolve III laptop from Micro Center a few weeks ago.  Great little laptop for portable SOTA operation.  I spent a good couple of hours removing all the MS bloat, updating, etc., and ended up with a fast little netbook.  I may even upgrade the solid state drive to real one but right now, after initial program launch, the machine is pretty quick.

The display is good, but does need a hood for outdoor use.  I fabricated a hood using plastic cardboard and Velcro.   The 12V charging is key for portable operation.

73 - Dave dx

W0BDT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@w0trm)

I've had mine for couple months. It runs CHIRP, CPS for Anytone, WSJT-X, VarAC, JS8Call, Winlink, Fldigi, Flrig and Netlogger with no problems. Plus 12v charging. What more to ask for $60.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Tom Martin

W0BDT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@w0trm)

If you want to make a DC charging cable for the Evolve laptop, you need a

3.5mm x 1.3mm DC Plug. 

W0BDT reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: