1 Users
0 Likes
Jeff Karpinski
(@webmaster)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

PRA Elmer Committee 
K0EKA Tech Note #2 
Best practices for using Computers with High Power (or any Power Level) Amateur Radio Transmitters

If you need help with any items described here, ask an Elmer at the monthly PRA Elmer tech night!

1. If you can, the modulation input and signal output to and from the transceiver should use virtual audio cables instead of external audio cables.
 My ICOM rigs (IC-7610 and IC-9700) connect to the computer using only one USB cable each for two way control and two way audio. Check your rig's manual to see if this option exists.
 My Apache Lab ANAN-10 HPSDR transceiver has virtual audio cable connections to operating programs via the application “Virtual Audio Cables” or “ Voice Meeter Banana” (two great program, but Voice Meeter Banana is freeware).
2. Be complete and consistent about putting clamp-on RF chokes next to the computer port on every cable that connects to your PC or Mac. See photo below:

3. Note the Mac has an aluminum chassis sitting on the ground plane under it. I have used copper straps to ground the PC chassis to the ground plane also, but am currently no doing that. 
4. Keep all cables short as possible and use tie wraps to bundle them together as much as possible. Keep the bundles as close to the ground plane as possible. Coil long cables that can’t be shortened and lay or tie the coils on the ground plane. I have several plug strips in my console so power cords don’t have far to go.

3/21/2020
Ron Cox K0EKA

Share: