Notifications
Clear all

DMR Help

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tnorris)
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about exploring DMR and had a few questions for people in the know:

1. What is the likelihood I can hit a DMR repeater from Castle Pines on a DMR HT?  (My 5W ID51A is marginal from my house into w0cfi.)

2. Equipment recommendation.  I was looking at the Anytones.  Any others I should consider?

3. I'm a Mac guy.  I'm assuming I'll need access to a windows machine for programming, or need to run a VM?

AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

Hey Tom,

The PRA DMR repeaters are scattered around the Parker / Aurora / Elizabeth area so connectivity to them will depend on what kind of line-of-site you have. The Denver Radio Club's WØTX DMR repeater is pretty much accessible from everywhere. Slot 1 is dynamic and can easily be keyed over to Mega 310759 if it's not in use. A better plan for the QTH is to pick up a hotspot. Then you can run low power on your DMR HT and still reach the world, regardless of repeater coverage. A Jumbo Spot or ZUMspot can be had for under $100.

You can't go wrong with AnyTone, TYT, and Motorola DMR radios. Plenty of users of all of these in the club that can lend a hand with programming. And yes, all the DMR CPS software is Windows. VM will certainly work as long as you're comfortable passing USB/serial ports through to the VM. If you have an old laptop in the junk drawer, slapping a Windows image on it for dedicated programming of ham gear certainly isn't a bad idea.

73, AB0L

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

ReplyQuote
(@tnorris)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips Jeff.  I may look into a 4550 or 6550 and bring it to an Elmer night for CP assistance.  (I knew I shouldn’t have given away that Thinkpad!).

BTW, new callsign?

ReplyQuote
AB0L
 AB0L
(@3d0g)
Maker of fjords.

I have a 4550 in my truck and absolutely love it. The Motorola CPS software & driver are kinda weird in that the driver actually creates a USB network interface to the radio. So when you plug the radio into the computer, it appears as a new network to Windows. I could imagine that would be a real head scratcher to get going inside a VM but maybe I'm wrong. TONS of folk in the club can program Motorola gear so I wouldn't sweat it one bit.

Yeah, the FCC found me "A" call worthy last Tuesday! I was really looking for Whiskey 1x2 and 2x1s after getting my Extra back in May, but missed out on 6 or 7 different lotteries. AB0L came free one weekend and by some miracle I was the last man standing for it when the FCC process date came around.

AB0L (Formerly N0KAI)
-----
Kenwood TM-V71A, Kenwood TS-590S, Icom ID-4100A, Yaseu FT-891, TYT MD-UV380, TYT MD-380, Kenwood TH-D7A, BTECH UV-5X3, µBITX V5, µBITX V4, QRPGuys 40/30/20m DSB Digital Transceiver

ReplyQuote
(@tnorris)
Topic starter  

Congrats on the new callsign!  Thanks again for the helpful information..

ReplyQuote
Share: